Other Names: vitamin H, coenzyme R, vitamin b7
While commonly known as vitamin H, biotin is actually a water-soluble B vitamin that is essential for a number of bodily processes. In particular, biotin is especially important for strong hair, nail growth and glowing skin.
Additional benefits of taking Biotin include its ability to help:
- Support energy levels
- Support ideal immune system function, which helps maintain good health
- Support biological processes that convert fatty acids into glucose
- Enhance the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins
- Help the body maintain optimal blood sugar levels already in the healthy range
Biotin supports adequate levels of carboxylase enzymes and these enzymes promote the metabolism of fatty acids that promote strong hair, nails and vibrant skin. Therefore, taking biotin aids in the maintenance of healthy nails and hair as well as healthy skin.
Studies on Biotin:
- Silvia Maggini, Eva S. Wintergerst, Stephen Beveridge and Dietrich H. Hornig (2007). Selected vitamins and trace elements support immune function by strengthening epithelial barriers and cellular and humoral immune responses. British Journal of Nutrition, 98, pp S29-S35. doi:10.1017/S0007114507832971.
- Hochman LG, Scher RK, Meyerson MS. Brittle nails: response to daily biotin supplementation. Cutis. 1993 Apr;51(4):303-5.
- MortonJ. Cowan, Seymour Packman, DianeW. Wara, ArthurJ. Ammanna, Makoto Yoshino, Lawrence Sweetman, William Nyhan. MULTIPLE BIOTIN-DEPENDENT CARBOXYLASE DEFICIENCIES ASSOCIATED WITH DEFECTS IN T-CELL AND B-CELL IMMUNITY. The Lancet Volume 314, Issue 8134, 21 July 1979, Pages 115–118.
- Andrew Whatham, Hannah Bartlett, Frank Eperjesi, Caron Blumenthal, Jane Allen, Catherine Suttle and Kevin Gaskin. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies in the developed world and their effect on the eye and vision. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 1–12, January 2008.
- Ewe JA, Wan-Abdullah WN, Alias AK, Liong MT. Bioconversion of isoflavones and the probiotic properties of the electroporated parent and subsequent three subcultures of Lactobacillus fermentum BT 8219 in biotin-soymilk. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2012 Jul;22(7):947-59.
- Shorrosh BS, Roesler KR, Shintani D, van de Loo FJ, Ohlrogge JB. Structural analysis, plastid localization, and expression of the biotin carboxylase subunit of acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase from tobacco. Plant Physiol. 1995 Jun;108(2):805-12.
- Gallego-Villar L, Pérez B, Ugarte M, Desviat LR, Richard E. Antioxidants successfully reduce ROS production in propionic acidemia fibroblasts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Sep 26;452(3):457-61. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2014.08.091. Epub 2014 Aug 23.
- Ghosal A, Sekar TV, Said HM. Biotin uptake by mouse and human pancreatic beta cells/islets: a regulated, lipopolysaccharide-sensitive carrier-mediated process. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2014 Aug 1;307(3):G365-73. doi: 10.1152/ajpgi.00157.2014. Epub 2014 Jun 5.
- Feng L, Zhao S, Chen G, Jiang W, Liu Y, Jiang J, Hu K, Li S, Zhou X. Antioxidant status of serum, muscle, intestine and hepatopancreas for fish fed graded levels of biotin. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2014 Apr;40(2):499-510. doi: 10.1007/s10695-013-9861-z. Epub 2013 Sep 18.
- Orelma H, Johansson LS, Filpponen I, Rojas OJ, Laine J. Generic method for attaching biomolecules via avidin-biotin complexes immobilized on films of regenerated and nanofibrillar cellulose. Biomacromolecules. 2012 Sep 10;13(9):2802-10. doi: 10.1021/bm300781k. Epub 2012 Aug 10.
- Madian AG, Myracle AD, Diaz-Maldonado N, Rochelle NS, Janle EM, Regnier FE. Determining the effects of antioxidants on oxidative stress induced carbonylation of proteins. Anal Chem. 2011 Dec 15;83(24):9328-36. doi: 10.1021/ac201856g. Epub 2011 Nov 2.
- Zempleni J, Teixeira DC, Kuroishi T, Cordonier EL, Baier S. Biotin requirements for DNA damage prevention. Mutat Res. 2012 May 1;733(1-2):58-60. doi: 10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2011.08.001. Epub 2011 Aug 17.
- Sun R, Zhuang H. Biotin-streptavidin-amplified real-time immune-PCR assay for detecting dimethyl phthalate in beverage and drinking water samples. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2015 Feb;407(4):1261-5. doi: 10.1007/s00216-014-8329-z. Epub 2014 Nov 23.
- Sun RY, Zhuang HS. An indirect competitive biotin-streptavidin enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the determination of dimethyl phthalate (DMP) in milk and milk products. J Environ Sci Health B. 2015;50(4):275-84. doi: 10.1080/03601234.2015.999601.
- Bu D, Zhuang H, Zhou X, Yang G. Biotin-streptavidin enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detecting Tetrabromobisphenol A in electronic waste. Talanta. 2014 Mar;120:40-6. doi: 10.1016/j.talanta.2013.11.080. Epub 2013 Dec 4.
- Bu D, Zhuang H, Zhou X, Yang G. A heterogeneous biotin-streptavidin-amplified enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detecting tris(2,3-dibromopropyl) isocyanurate in natural samples. Anal Biochem. 2014 Oct 1;462:51-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ab.2014.06.003. Epub 2014 Jun 12.
- Vaya J, Aizenshtein E, Khatib S, Gefen T, Fassler M, Musa R, Krispel S, Pitcovski J. Mannosamine-biotin as a novel masking agent for coating IgG for immune response silencing and augmentation of antibody-antigen interaction. Vaccine. 2009 Nov 16;27(49):6869-76. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2009.09.010. Epub 2009 Sep 16.
- Sun W, Fletcher D, van Heeckeren RC, Davis PB. Non-covalent ligand conjugation to biotinylated DNA nanoparticles using TAT peptide genetically fused to monovalent streptavidin. J Drug Target. 2012 Sep;20(8):678-90. doi: 10.3109/1061186X.2012.712128.
- Hamilton CR, Veum TL. Effects of cecal oxytetracycline infusion, and dietary avidin and biotin supplementation on the biotin status of nongravid gilts. J Anim Sci. 2012 Nov;90(11):3821-32. doi: 10.2527/jas.2011-4831. Epub 2012 Jun 4.
- Yazbeck N, Muwakkit S, Abboud M, Saab R. Zinc and biotin deficiencies after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2010 Apr-Jun;73(2):283-6.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to prevent, treat, cure, or diagnose any disease. Information on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not medical advice. Consult a physician if you are seeking medical advice or have a medical problem.